10th std Program
SSC exam or 10th std exam is a very important educational milestone in India. ASHA conducts special activities with the girls appearing for this examination like – providing nutrition during exam preparations, solving of model question papers in study class, arranging study skill sessions by experts.
- From 2012 to 2020, 88 girls appeared for SSC exams. Over the past few years, the highest passing percentage was 92% in 2016 and 90% in 2019.
- 12 girls passed with distinction, 31 girls passed in First Class, 33 girls passed in Second Class and 12 girls passed in pass class.
- All SSC passed girls are studying further. Those who have passed 12th std and going to college, ASHA is providing support to them as and when necessary.
- The girl who scored 92% in SSC in 2016 is currently pursuing degree in Computer Engineering and the one who scored 90% in 2019 is currently in 12th Commerce stream.
- Two girls took admission in diploma mechanical engineering. One of them completed her diploma studies and currently employed in private company in Chakan. The second girl is about to finish her diploma studies.
ASHA tried to develop an interest in reading among the girls. In August 2015, ASHA began a mobile Library in Janata Vasahat. The librarians came once a month and gave two books to each girl. On an average, eighty girls availed of this facility and issued books for reading. In 2018, ASHA’s own library setup was planned and preparations kicked off. In 2019, ASHA started its own library in Janata Vasahat for the girls. On an average, sixty girls and twenty boys read books from ASHA’s library every year.
This project was started as income generation activity for school dropout girls. School dropout girls were taught few skills like Bandhani work, paper quelling, Warli painting. ASHA provides capital help and girls made warli handmade greeting, Diwali panati, earthen lamps, Bandhani stoles and book marks, paper quelling envelopes, greeting cards, photo frames, decorative wooden articles which can be used at home and office. Over period of time school going girls also started participating in this activity. Every year around Diwali ASHA tries to set up stall in various exhibitions like in Diwali fair, at companies like TATA motors, Persistent, Tech Mahindra etc. The profit gained in these exhibitions is distributed among the girls.